Thursday, June 14, 2012

exploration



To be honest, I didn't want to post today. I felt guilty that we spent the day touring the countryside instead of doing community service. But, God reminded me if I wear a polo that says, "For Zion's sake I will not be silent" I better brag about his land!

So here's what went down today-

First, we hiked through the wilderness of ancient Dan. Thankfully, most of the hike was shaded by tall trees so I could really take it all in w/out mopping of all my sweat. We were able to walk on the ruins of  an ancient altar & see the city gate.

oldest arch. in the whole world. around 4000 yrs old.


Right after that we went to a place, very enlightening, but the name has slipped my mind. At this place we saw the ruins of some of the oldest pagan shrines and what the people of the time called "the gate to hades". Jesus went to this place bc he understood that they were enslaved to idols more than others. He reminded them that "I will build my church, and even the gates of Hades will not overcome it." (matt 16:18) That was not an expression. It was a reference to a well known place of idol worship (and the very place I stood today). Crazy how the ruins remain, maybe just to clarify the Bible.
cave to left, shrine to right

We wrapped up our travels at a military memorial in the Golan Heights. I still can't believe 40 Israeli tanks wiped out 400 Syrian tanks! The memorial pays homage to the substantial victory only made possible through God's greatness. 

Each day I'm learning more & more, hopefully I will become less hesitant to sharing the knowledge even if no labor is involved!

                                                                           -Mads
Praise: we've been safe & well fed. we enjoy each other's company
Prayer: protection bc we will be traveling tomorrow. protection from the heat.

p.s. mom says psalm 140 is a good prayer to pray for Israel