Thursday, June 7, 2012

all shuk up



intense

I got to see the Magen David Adom (like the red cross) in action today! Don't worry this was just a demonstration, they wanted to show us what their job was like. It was a really cool experience but first I must backtrack to the bat/bar mitzvah.

The bat/bar mitzvah was no ordinary one (as if I knew what ordinary was, it was my first one). The children's home was celebrating the coming of age of 24 kids. That meant a huge celebration with around a thousand guests. We did as much as we could to help set up, but like typical Jews they wouldn't let us do any work. Even though the event was       r e a l l y  long, I loved every minute of it. The people were so compassionate , the food was amzing as always, and there was dancing! 

Today was another busy day! We started with a tour to the Magen David Adom. That place is wonderful because it consists of all volunteers who live to help others.   My mom must have been super excited because she lost one of her group members before we even arrived :) After that excursion we ventured to the Shuk- an open air market. The smells and sights were overwhleming. Instead of exotic fruits and veggies we purchased iced coffee. Later, we had lunch in the mall's food court. Theresa, my mom, and I had a really nice conversation with a young Jewish man who sat at our table. He had so much peace and happiness even if he could remember when missiles came to his town.

I feel like there is so much more to be said but once again, sleep deprivation is getting the best of me.

-Mads

Praise- our team shirts put smiles on the faces of the Jewish people
Prayer- strength for the team & relaxation on our rest days fri & sat before more work





Shuk